Got grey matter while blowing my nose. Having headache. What could be these?

Nov 2013

nose About a month ago i was blowing my nose and a lot of grey matter with brain looking small chunks with blood came out. I have never experienced this before and have not since. I sleep walk and have hit my head many times and have many headaches I'm assuming because of it. Not sure if that matters ..
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is very unlikely that brain matter came out of nose, after blowing it. So, I wish to reassure you regarding that there is no need to worry now.

However, in some cases after head injury, there may be fracture of base of skull, which can lead to leakage of brain fluid (cerebro spinal fluid-CSF) through the nose.

If you notice any liquid or watery discharge from the nose, especially if you bend down, then you should consult a neurologist. Otherwise, there is no need to worry.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist