Got german shepherd dog bite. Dog died after a month. What are the risk of rabies?

General Surgeon
Question
I WAS BITTEN BY German Shepherd Dog ,DOG LIVE MORE THAN MONTH WHEN IT BYTE ME .DOES IT HAS A RABIES ?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This dog can still have rabies as the virus can be in incubation state for about 2 months. But it is more important for you if the dog had has a virus in his saliva, as this is the only way you could be infected. Usually, when the virus in the dogs saliva appears, such animal cant live longer than 15 days. That is why, if the dog lives now more than a month you can be sure it could not infect you. So it is a good news for you and you should not worry anymore.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Got german shepherd dog bite. Dog died after a month. What are the risk of rabies? 4 minutes later
in incubation state of a dog ,does it has rabies

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Hello!

It is too early to answer this question. It needs to pass 2 months to see if the dog has virus or not, as for 2 months the infection can be hidden (incubation - when the virus proliferates so it can affect the nervous system). If after two months there wont be no signs of infection (no habits change, no hydrophobia, no fearless, no increased amount of saliva) we can say that the dog is healthy.

Regards.

sir,
There is any chance of getting rabies when i I WAS BITTEN BY German Shepherd Dog.Dog is still alive more than a month after bitten me.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Hello!

Like I have said before, there is NO CHANCE of getting rabies from this dog if it is still alive more than a month. Not at all.

Hope this will help.
Regards.