Got fracture on toe and bruised and tender appeared. What should I do?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, I broke the second toe on my left foot back on July 28th. And yes, I am sure it was broken not just sprained. I had no insurance (still not covered until Nov 1st) but friend who is a ER nurse told me to buddy tape it and showed me how. I did this and while it does not hurt as much, the area around the "knuckle" of the toe is still bruised and tender. I also cannot bend my toe at the "knuckle". It's been over 10 weeks since I first broke it. Why does it still hurt?
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 53 minutes later

Generally, if the fracture is not displaced ( which means that the bones havent moved away considerably from one another) and non-articular ( which means it doesnt involve the surface of the bones which forms the joint surface), it heals in 3 to 4 weeks with buddy strapping only.

Since a X-ray was not done at the time of injury, we do not know whether the fracture is displaced and involves the articular surface or not.

At 10 weeks time if it is still tender, it means there is delayed union or non union due to soft tissue interposition ( which means the soft tissue is getting in the way of the bones uniting). Stiffness developed at toe joint might be due to articular involvement of fracture.

You have to be examined by an orthopaedic surgeon and get an X- XXXXXXX done .

Meanwhile don't put weight over toes.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.