Got fracture of a rib. Feeling uncomfortable to sleep. Any suggestion?

Cracked rib injury. I cracked my number 9 rib in a fall last Friday. The rib is still together but I am still in a great deal of pain. I am trying to move around and breath so I don't have that problem but I can't seem to get comfortable to sleep and I'm not taking any medication. Any suggestions?

Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Fracture of a rib is very painful as it is impossible to restrict the movement of the rib with every breath. I can understand your pain when you are sleeping. I suggest that you take a pain killer like iburpofen tab. three times a day with meals to reduce the pain. What I have found useful with my patients is to strap the area with Dynaplast from the front to the back extending over the broken area. This reduces the movement in the affected area and does not hamper breathing. Once the pain becomes tolerable the Dynaplast can be removed. You can do it with some relief.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarification or would like to share more facts of the incident.

Wishing you an early recovery.