Got fracture in fibula near ankle, bone not displaced. Have put half plaster just above ankle. Normal?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

I am XXXXXXX I got fracture in fibula near ankle.My bone is not displaced. My doctor put half plaster on my leg.Half plaster i mean to say my plaster just ends above my ankle.It is not even the middle of my ankle and knee.

Is this ok to care fibula non displaced fracture?
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Elastocrepe bandage will suffice.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.
In leg fractures what matters is whether the tibia is fractured or not as the tibia is the main weight bearing bone.
A fibular fracture does not require any operative intervention. It just requires supportive care usually a firm elastocrepe bandage. A plaster may at times may not even be required.Whether the fibular fracture heals or not is of no functional consequence to the weight bearing function of the leg.
If a plaster has been given then it can be safely removed at 3 weeks.