Got fracture in fibula. Cured by cast. Started getting pain at the fracture site. Is this normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I fractured my fibula in three places right above my ankle one year ago. I did not have any surgery, but instead was placed in a cast for six weeks (non weight bearing) and a boot for another three weeks. During the boot time I did physical therapy. Now a year later, I'm beginning to get pain at the fracture site. It's not dull, it's fairly sharp and moderately painful. The pain is so much that at times I find myself limping. Is this normal? Should I get another xray to check on the fracture site?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 48 minutes later

Getting pain, again a year later of fracture at same site just above your ankle might be due to another strain at ankle or due to stress fracture.

If it is tender to touch at fracture site, you need to get another x-ray to check at fracture site.

Meanwhile you can take anti-inflammatory drug like Motrin to reduce pain, avoid putting full weight and rest well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Got fracture in fibula. Cured by cast. Started getting pain at the fracture site. Is this normal? 3 days later
It is not tender to the touch at all. And I just recently discovered that when I am in one particularly pair of shoes (shoes with support for my overpronation) it stops hurting completely! Does this change your diagnosis? Should I keep or cancel my appointment?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

It seems that you might be having flat foot which may have been acquired due to your previous injury.

In this, the foot becomes overpronated. That's why you get relief while wearing a particular pair of shoes.

Do not cancel your appointment, get examined by your doctor for a proper diagnosis .

Regards.