Got foot injury. Getting pain while bending leg. Is it a serious problem?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
i had my left foot injured during camping. no swelling but the pain get intensified when walking or putting some weight on it. i feel it at the ankle and spreads to whole sideway outside of the foot during walking and can't really twist my foot inwards while standing. now it has been 12days since the injury occurred. my friend is trainee doctor and she did some checkings (during camping) like tried moving my toe around to see if it causes any pain, but it didn't. It only hurts when pressure is put on the side of my foot. this is my second time i encounter the same pain on the same foot. last time was on february 2011 and the pain last for a month or so as i remembered. can it lead to a serious problem? what should i do? thank you
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 16 minutes later

It would be helpful, if you please mention the type of injury you had during camping.

First thing you should do is to get a X-Ray of your left foot (AP and Lateral view) done. The pain and swelling may be due to fracture.
In either case ( whether its a fracture or a soft tissue swelling), we should not be expecting any serious complications. Nevertheless, this needs to be treated.

Pain and swelling can be relieved by :-
1. Proper rest to the injured foot
2. Giving support to the foot by tying Crepe bandage
3. Hot fomentation
4. Applying locally pain relieving gel like diclofenac gel.
5. Taking pain killer like Ibuprofen along with antacid Ranitidine . Since these are prescription drugs, please get yourself examined by an Orthopedic surgeon and take medications under medical supervision only.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.