Ask a Dentist   »  

Got food struck between teeth. How can it be removed?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I have what i think is a sliver of chicken bone caught between the two molars at the back of my mouth. It hasn't caused any problem yet but i am conscious that it is there. How can it be removed? Thanks
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 55 minutes later

The reason for food getting stuck in between teeth is usually either presence of cavity or spacing between the teeth. Both of which need to be treated as the dentist will remove the caries/stuck food and fill the tooth/teeth as required.
Meanwhile, I would advise you to avoid using any sharp unsterilized object to try to remove the sliver of chicken bone as you may hurt the tooth and the surrounding tissue, even causing infection sometimes.
You can try the following:
-Use an intraproximal brush if the spacing is more between the teeth where food is stuck.
-Flossing if the space between the teeth is less, as the chicken bone may get dislodged with it.
-Using the bristles of a hard brush
-Rinse vigorously with water
-Use a tooth pick only if the stuck food is visible between the teeth in the mirror. In that case you can just pry it out very carefully.

Ideally, I would suggest you to visit your dentist as the space between the teeth needs to be filled to make sure that any food does not get stuck again and cause injury.
If you have any more queries, I’ll be happy to help.