Got first period. Noticed swelling on vagina and inner labia hanging out. Infection?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
My 13 yr old daughter just started her first period. Prior to this, she has complained about strong vaginal odor. I just thought this was from playing competitive soccer and sweating a lot. Now her vaginal area also appears swollen where the inner labial tissue is actually hanging out. Is this just from her period or does She possibly have an infection. She is very concerned and self conscious but is very open with me. I am also positive that she is not sexually active. I really hate to take her for an exam this young. What do you suggest?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later
There is possibility that the symptoms she is having could be due to some problem in using sanitary pads or tampons.
You enquire whether she is frequently changing them or not and how she is using.
Sometimes she may be having allergy to the material of that particular sanitary pad or tampon.
You better consult local lady gynecologist and let her once see locally to find out the actual nature of the local swelling etc. and treatment can be taken accordingly.
Meanwhile sitz bath can give some relief to her.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Got first period. Noticed swelling on vagina and inner labia hanging out. Infection? 20 hours later
The strong odor was prior to starting her period as was the swelling, so I don't think it was from irritation of the pads. She is changing frequently probably more than necessary because it is her first and she is very self conscious.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
Then possibly the odor and swelling could be due to excessive straining and sweating due to playing as you said.
So possibly by sitz bath, keeping the area dry, avoiding tight inner wear and by avoiding wearing of inner wear during nights this problem can decrease to some extent.
Check for her hemoglobin levels once to rule out anemia.
If the problem persists or increases better to consult gynecologist once.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.