Got fever and started vomiting with loose motion. Taking medicine. How to overcome this?

Sep 2012

Hi, my mom is 53 yrs old. She has been vomiting since last night (3am IST) and has had loose motions as well. She had some coconut water in the morning (9am IST) and felt better. She has been having bananas, milk & bread. She got some fever around 12 noon. I gave her a Crocin (paracetamol) and oflox-TZ. She was ok for a while but vommitted again half an hour ago (4pm IST). She is feeling a lot better after vommitting but is now running a 100degrees fever. She doesn't have loose motions now. Pls suggest what should we do next. Thanks
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 51 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your description indicates that your mother is suffering from migraine attacks frequently. But her present condition indicates that the situation is complicated by presence of some gastrointestinal infections.

In this condition first of all stop giving her the oflox TZ. It contains tinidazole group of drug which will aggravate the situation.

Do the followings.

1.     Give her adequate amount of water. It will be better to give ORS solutions.
2.     Give her very light diet. Try to avoid bread.
3.     Prochlorperazine group of drug should be given to prevent migraine induced vomiting.
4.     Paracetamol and domperidone combination should be given to prevent acute attack of migraine.
5.     A pantoprazole group of drug should be given.
6.     If fever persists, ciprofloxacin and ornidazole group of drug should be considered. It is better than ofloxTZ.
7.     She have to be sedated with low dose alprazolam group of drug.

So, for clinical examination and also for a detailed prescription of the above mentioned drugs, you should consult with your family physician or general physician.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.