Got fever and sore throat after protected sex. Worried about contracting HIV

Jul 2012

I had a protcted sex with a sex worker and then after 18 days I got fever and sore throat (minor) so I took two pills and then it went away. I am worried about contracting HIV. I did not have any other symptoms though.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 7 hours later
Hi there.
While i am not condoning or trivialising the contact with a sexual worker, as a medical professional, i note with pride that you bothered to use protection & practice safe sex. It does appear the fever & sore throat were incidental & the law of averages as regards cold's caught up with you. If one needs some additional confirmation, it may be best to go for a PCR test that will pick up any HIV virus at this early stage. It may help calm the nerves down further. However, monogamy may be the way forward & do please continue to practice safe sex irrespective.
Relax, you should be fine & wish you continued good health. You have a long life ahead & wish you every success. Cheers & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Got fever and sore throat after protected sex. Worried about contracting HIV 3 minutes later
i am little confused
so you are saying that I should not worry right ??
and also what if I have hiv and fever went away just bcoz of pills ???
is it like that ??
i have learnt my lesson doctor and I will never have sex with anyone excpet my wife now I am so regreating trust me
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 27 minutes later
Hi there.
Relax & Do not be confused. Yes, I am saying, you should not worry. It all seems well. One fever or sore throat does not mean HIV infection. Dont worry about learning is a learning curve..everyone makes mistakes. Relax.
Yes, you seem to be all clear. Please do the PCR test if still in doubt.
Cheers!. Please do close this query, forget about this issue but do find time to give us a healthy rating & review if time permits. Good lUck & am sure, all will be well. Relax!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD