Got electric shock. Had thumb injury, giddiness and back pain. Will it be safe to conceive now?

I had an electric shock about a month and half ago, i had burn injury on my left thumb, which has healed externally, but there is slight pain on touch even now. the pain issue is that my joints have been hurting alot lately, i feel very exhausted most of the time and if am standing or working non stop, i feel i might faint, but have not so far, probably more like severe giddiness with back pain and headache sometimes and feel the need to rest. I am 32 yr old, not working, and am planning to conceive again. I am really concerned about my health and is it ok to plan pregnancy now...

thanks a lot XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 3 hours later

I'm doctor Christensen and thanks for the query.

I'm sorry you don't feel well. Without knowing more about your electrical injury, it's difficult to say if this incident was the cause of your current symptoms. Some electrical injuries cause significant XXXXXXX organ damage while causing only minimal surface damage. Usually, these XXXXXXX injuries -- the heart, kidneys, nervous system and muscles are most frequently involved -- manifest themselves fairly soon after the shock, but sometimes they're subtle and aren't quickly diagnosed.

Before you proceed with your plans to get pregnant, I would suggest that you see your physician for an evaluation. He/she may need to run some tests to make sure your organs are all functioning normally; it would also be wise to rule out other potential causes of your fatigue, lightheadedness, joint pain, Autoimmune disorders (e.g., rheumatoid arthritis or lupus), fibromyalgia and thyroid disease are among the possibilities.

I hope that all helps. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. I may be away from my computer, but I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Good luck!