Got ears pierced. Will I develop Keloids?

I just got my ears pierced two weeks ago will I develop keloids? i'm 45 years old my sister had her ears pierced she did it on her own and got keloids I have read it's through family.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 14 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. You are absolutely correct, there is a family tendency for keloid scarring; other major risk factor is Black ethicity, for reasons unknown. However, penetrance in families is not 100%; chances are higher if you have had a cut elswehere or healed lesion in other part of the body with development of keloid. Take good care of the area with just water and soap, no ther chemicals, and follow... There would not be any preventive topical ointment to my knowledge effective to prevent development of keloids.

Hope that is useful, wish you the best health,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN