Got diabetes and have hypothyroid. Taking Istamet. What are the complication in getting pregnant?

Hi iam XXXXXXX my age is 31 years. I recently got diabetic & i also have hypotyroid . my doctor suggested me a tablet of ISTAMET 50mg/500 mg.iam using this tablet for past 3 months. the tablet sheet of 14 no cost RS.308 . whereas my husband also diagonalised and found diabetic last week . he went other doctor, he suggested some other table but tablet sheet of 14 no cost only Rs 31. i donot excat name of tablet.

why there so much difference in the price. is it rquired to use the branded company tablets only?
can you suggest the other tablet for diabetics?
we donot children yet.
what are complication in getting pregency if both couple are daibetic?
what are necessary precautions need to be take care

Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 31 hours later
Brand names do carry some advantages but sometimes their cost is prohibitive as you are describing here. If you have been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, there is a good chance of you curing yourself or reversing the condition with lifestyle change that basically involves good diet and exercise that results in 5-10 % body weight loss.
If you glucose levels are less than 180-200 and A1c is less than 8% or so , you can try this lifestyle modification for about 3 months. If the glucoses are not at goal ie close to 100 or thereabouts, and A1c is not less than 6.5 to 7, then ask your doctor if you are a candidate for metformin. He ir she will ensure you have no major heart / lung / liver /kidney problems that preclude the use of metformin. Once that is clear, you should take any generic metformin that is inexpensive. I strongly recommend you find an endocrinologist (MD DM ) who can guide with regard to both thyroid and diabetes, especially if you get pregnant. It is a complex situation and requires thorough personal care. Do not get pregnant without first controlling your diabetes and thyroid well.