Got delayed and prolonged period. What am I suffering from?

My usual mensturation cycle is 25 days. This time my periods started after 40 days. It has now been 15 days since it started but hasnt stopped as yet. This is the first time this is happening to me. Please advice.
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 20 minutes later

You seem to be suffering from a hormonal imbalance that has caused the metropathic cycle. Since your period was delayed by 15 days, the hormonal disturbance that has caused this is responsible for the prolonged bleeding.

You did not say whether you are married, on any contraception and your age. Management depends mostly on the situation prior to the present complaint.

You should see a gynecologist for an examination to rule out organic causes, get investigations including a blood picture, hormonal profile and a sonogram.

You may take styptics in association with hormones for stopping the bleeding and hormone therapy may be continued further for a few cycles if needed. You should also use nutritional supplements and haematinics.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. If you have any further queries, I will be happy to help.