Got cut with a shaving razor blade of a flight attendant. Should I be concerned?

Question
Hi, I work at the airport I got cut with a shaving razor blade of a flight attendant. I got really scared and ask a lot of times if he had anything I should know about. I look atthe blade and it ltook new and unused at the time. I went to the hospital because I did bleed , they told me it was a surface cut and not to worry. They clean my finger and sent me home. Should I be worryed ?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Do not worry.
The chances of transmission of HIV are minimal here.
If it is a unused blade there is no risk of any transmission at all.
Try and know the HIV status of the flight attendant if that is possible. If he/she is HIV negative then there is no risk of transmission.
Even if the blade is a used one the other individual should have a cut for transmission to occur. Even if there is a cut the HIV virus on exposure to room air is deactivated rapidly.

So there are so many unanswered questions here making the possibility very low.

If the individual is HIV positive and he used the razor and he has a cut while shaving then you should consult your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Got cut with a shaving razor blade of a flight attendant. Should I be concerned? 47 minutes later
Yes I did look at it well and was nothing on it, and it was in his bag where u keep shaving kit with shampoo.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for your reply.

The external look of a razor may not be suggestive of any thing.
So only asking the individual will confirm if it is used or not.