Got cut with a knife and started bleeding. Do I need to take tetanus booster?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
I cut myself with a knife this morning and it was bleeding. I had DPT at the end of 2005. It wasnt a XXXXXXX cut but feel a little concerned. I washed it with soap and water then applied a plaster. Do I need to have another tetnus booster? I meant I had a tetnus in amongst other things. The knife was new and just straight out of the packet. The knife seemed to be clean. I had a tetnus about 6 years ago.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Do you mean to say that you had anti tetanus vaccine 6 years ago.
It is now preferable to take the tetaus toxoid injection.
This toxoid will make the body produce antibodies.
Even with a clean knife( as you have mentioned the chances are remote as it was a clean knife and not rusted),if you have access to medical facility there,better take the injection.
Prevention is better than cure!
All the best
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Got cut with a knife and started bleeding. Do I need to take tetanus booster? 22 minutes later
Yes, I meant to say that my vaccine was 6 years ago back in 2005. I'm in South Korea so will the anti tetnus be the same standard all over the world. I'm more worried about getting an injection in Korea compared to the UK.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
I understand your concern.
If 5 years are over after the last vaccine,, then vaccine is recommended.
You can make sure of the company manufacturing the medicine whether it is a standard one,but of course many medicines of one company are produced locally under the same name! In different countries.
All the best
Good luck
Dr Uma