Got cut on pubic area and developed excess skin growth. Is this cancerous?

Hi, doctor,
i really need your help as i am quite worried, what happen was that about a year ago, i was shaving my pubic area and received a slight cut around my pubic hair area and over time till now i have develop excess skin growing around that area. It is quite an unsightly sight, i would like to know is it XXXXXXX or maybe cancerous? and can i remove it via a small surgery operation? and weather there is any other possibilities to remove it by not doing a minor operation on it. i really am wooried and need your advise, pls help me with a solution Doctor XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

In some persons during the healing process, excess skin can develop in the area where the injury was located.It is called hypertropic (excess) scarring.
Some persons may also have keloids which are also excess skin- the differences between the 2 are: keloids may form even in the absence of an injury, they go beyond the margin where the injury occured, keloids can reoccur after removal and they are associated with more discomfort.
Neither of these is cancerous or XXXXXXX and are only removed if they are causing distress or discomfort.

A doctor can determine which is present based on history and examination of the area.
In addition a biopsy may be required to determine exactly which one is present.
Treatment can involve: (1)surgical removal which would be simple one day procedure, that should not require an overnight stay. Depending on the size of the lesion, a general surgeon may be able to perform the procedure in an outpatient setting.
(2) the use of injectable steroids- these are used on a repeated basis by the doctor . This can be done on its own but is normally combined with another form of treatment.
(3) other forms of treatment would be cryotherapy which is the use of intense cold,
laser therapy

You can visit your GP for an evaluation and to determine which treatment it best for you.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions