Got corn under feet. Using corn caps, small chunk of skin removed. How to get rid?

I've got a corn under my feet and at times, it hurts very much while walking. I remember it occurring around June/July this year. Then as advised by my friends, I used 3-4 corn caps (bandages) on the same for a week or so and when I removed the bandage, a small chunk of skin also got removed. I felt better, but off late I can see the corn on same spot again since last 1 month or so. I've again started using corn caps since 2-3 days. How can I get rid of it?

Please advise.

Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Soft footwear use,salicylic lotion application.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.
Corn is very stubborn entity to treatment.
Corn cap is usually not helpful.
In my clinic patients who present with corn over foot are advised to undergo cryotherapy and Radiofrequency cautery to remove corn.Radiofrequency cautery can remove the corn in single sitting whereas cryotherapy needs more sittings.
Also patients who who cannot undergo such treatment for some reason will need to apply salicylic acid containing topical lotion daily over the affected area at night.The area has to be scrubbed in morning by scrubber.This kind of salicylic acid preparation has to be used for 3-4 weeks continuously for complete removal of corn.
These are the treatment options for corn removal.
Also change of footwear,using soft sole shoes, socks,extra padding on corn points will help to avoid pain and prevent further corn formation.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for any further clarification.