Got compression fracture in spine at L7,L8, and L10. How to get rid of the pain?

Spine Surgeon
Hi Sir,
I'm XXXXXXX and my wife is XXXXXXX

My wife has a subtle compression fracture in her spine at L7,L8, and L10 when she slipped on ice in NJ, USA in XXXXXXX 2009. When she slipped, she felt that some body hit in her back with huge wood log (she was holding 3 months baby in her hands when she slipped and just sat down from that standing position as I understand to avoid the baby reciving any hits).
Initially, the pain was bearable. I have asked for a permanent solution to the doctor who is practicing General Medicine/Family Physician. He was mentioning about 2/3 treatments as I remember, one of which being Kyphoplasty etc.,
As the pain was bearable and as it was told that the pain ceases over the time we did not opt for any other treatments.
The doctor prescribed calcium medicines/supplements as she was having Osteeoporosys.

Almost after 8 to months later, after returningo India somebody gave a XXXXXXX in her back more than gently forgetting her status. The pain became more from that time.
We consulted one of the renowned and best hospitals Appolo and Sunshine in Hyderabad, India and we were told not to worry as the vertebra do not have any damage by observing the MRI scan. We were also told that regular physio will solve the issue over a period of 6 months to year. We went for 2 sittings of physio and things looked better. They also advice few things like not to stand for long and work, avoid long journeys, how to lift weights if required etc.,

But now-a-days she is having more pain. I want to et rid of this pain factor in her permanently.
Is there a solution for getting relieved from pain and then slowly and eventually to reach stage of no pain.

Please help me.

Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 3 hours later
1. I think what you meant was that she injured the dorsal(D7,8,10) or thoracic(7,8,10) vertebrae.
2. It should be ascertained that pain is due to old fracture and not due to tension or other factor.
One rough way to know this is finding tenderness over aforementioned spinal segments. In such cases vertebroplasty may be of help. However this too carries risks and should be done by expert. You can consult an intervention radiologist carrying out such a procedure regularly.
So as of now, I would suggest that you get her examined by an orthopedic surgeon followed by a vertebroplasty (depending on the exam findings)