Got cold, voice was gone and muffled hearing. Became nauseous and vomitting. Diagnosed ear infection. Meningitis?

I got a cold mid-last week. By Saturday m.y voice was gone and hearing in my left ear was muffled. Sunday I became nauseous and vomited every 20 min. for 8 hours. Still nauseous Monday, fast forward to Tuesday. SEVERE ear pain and pressure unbearable, tried cold/flu medicine but vomited it up immediately. Went to emergency room, Dr. saw me for 20 seconds and prescirbed an antibiotic, nausea pills, and ear drops for pain, diagnosed with middle ear infection. uncomfortable with care from ER visited PCP next morning that agreed with ear infection, but also said bronchitis and possible pnemonia. on antibiotics for about 48 hours and fever of 102 on and off for past two days. neck is stiff and tender on right side (same side as ear infection/eustachian tube dysfunction). Should I be concerned about meningitis? I also saw an ENT today that agreed with the eustachian tube being swollen and red from sever cold.
Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry for meningitis.Follow doctor advice.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Your history and symptoms suggest upper respiratory tract and eustachian tube being swollen and redness suggest stiffness, high grade fever may present in both meningitis and in middle ear infection. In meningitis there won't be initial resting pain but if you flex (bend forward) the stiffness and pain increases (Some times flexing is impossible due to stiffness). This will be associated with severe head ache, neurological symptoms, sudden vomiting, irritable, confusion and other neurological signs may be associated. You don't have any of these symptoms.

So based on the presentations I don't think you are suffering from meningitis. Your doctor also after examination has not found any signs of meningitis. So no need to worry.

Continue all your treatment (You need antibiotic, anti inflammatory, anti histamine, enzymes and very good hydration. Do steam inhalation and concentrated warm salt water gargle three times a day before food). If you vomit your medication kindly take it again. The drug will act only if you take it.
For diagnosing pneumonia you require examination (Auscultation of chest) and x XXXXXXX chest PA view to confirm. So you need to consult your doctor for diagnosis and follow his advice.

So no need to worry for meningitis and I advice you to follow your doctor's advice for complete management.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.

If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
I wish you faster recovery and good health.