Got cold sore on lips. No relief from mucosal pain releiving gel and zytec. What to do?

I got a cold sore on my lips - seems viral. Tried mucosal pain releiving gel and zytec. Not working. What should I do? Can I take some anti-viral too?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 31 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Cold sore are caused by HSV). There are two types, HSV-1 and HSV-2, although HSV-1 is seen more often than the other variant.

Treatment for herpes involves the use of anti-viral medication (eg. acyclovir, valaciclovir, famcyclovir, pencyclovir, etc.). You can also add pain management or locally numbing medication. Although I would advise you to please consult a doctor and get treated for this accordingly instead of self-medicating. If herpes is inadequately treated, it can lead to many more serious complications in the future. Thus, early and appropriate treatment is the best option.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications and I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Got cold sore on lips. No relief from mucosal pain releiving gel and zytec. What to do? 2 hours later
Please suggest a good doctor around marathalli/whitefield area.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 20 minutes later

Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Yashomati Hospital, 2371/3, HAL Airport Varthur Main Road, Munnekolala, Marathalli Post Bangalore - 0000.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.