Got cold and headache. Looking for remedy

I got a cold and headache yesdterday evening as I am bald , gets frequent cold etc.. any quick remedy and prevention prcodeure.
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 37 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query and the pictures. I have taken a good look at them.

For quick relief of cold and headache, you may consider taking anti-histamines like Cetrizine along with Paracetamol, at bedtime for next few days. Please get it prescribed by your inhalation with Karvol plus nasocaps is an effective and immediate relief method at home.

I do not think your problem of cold is due to you being bald. The second picture (my sick photo), shows that you probably have Deviated Nasal Septum (DNS) and that may be the cause for recurrent cold. You may consider getting it examined by an ENT Specialist and proceed accordingly.

For prevention of cold, keep yourself warm always, avoid dust and pollution as much as you can, do not take refrigerated food, XXXXXXX breathing exercises will help as well.

Hope I have answered your query. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Got cold and headache. Looking for remedy 8 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your kind advice .
I did follow and the cold is in control. Also want to know if using karvol plus could be harm as i earlier used it and my doctor said to stop it while doing steam inhalation ?

About DNS , could you let me know what could be total cost approx for a its surgery and does that need any hospitalisation ?

In case it requires hospitalisation , I need to get an idea if this comes unders cosmetic or routine diseases , such that i could claim it under my medical insurance ?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 12 hours later

I am sorry for my delayed response.

I am glad that the cold is under control now. Using karvol plus is no harm to you, it in fact helps in nasal decongestion. You may continue using it.

The cost of DNS surgery or Septoplasty should not be more than 25,000 approximately. Yes, it does require a day of hospitalization. It is done as a daycare procedure, and after a few hours in the postoperative period, you can return home.

Septoplasty is a procedure done routinely. Well, it will be covered under almost all medical insurances. You could claim it as well.

I hope the information helps you in making a planned decision.