Got cold and cough after tonsils and adenoids removal. What cure should be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
Hi my son had his tonsils and adenoids removed 4 weeks ago and he is doing great but a week ago he caught a cold and now the cold is gone but he has a really bad cough that doesn't seem to be clearing
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Adenoids and tonsils are actually collection of lymphoid tissue containing macrophages and lymphocytes.
These cells helps in controlling infections by engulfing microorganisms and preventing them to invade lower respiratory tract and gastrointestinal tract.
After removal of these protective mechanism, body may be exposed to multiple infectious agents and getting infections after contact to some diseased person is very high.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of acute viral upper respiratory tract infection.
Presence of cold and cough suggest the diagnosis.

You should consult with child physician/ pediatrician and should go for thorough check up.
He should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, chest x XXXXXXX and throat swab culture and sensitivity.

You should give him complete antibiotic course, mucolytics and decongestants under guidance of his treating doctor.
You should also give him steam inhalation for soothing effect.
Kindly avoid cold drinks, oily food and yogurt.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava