Got clear fluid in period instead of blood. On pill. What could be wrong with me?

When I am on my period there is usually a couple of days where I have alot of clear fluid instead of red blood. For example: I will feel that I have bleed through my tampon then go to the bathroom and find my pants are soaked in a clear liquid not blood like it should have been. This usually happens after I have bleed really heavy the first two days. The clear fluid usually has some blood but my tampon would be soaked with mostly clear fluid. The end of my period is back to a light flow of blood.

I am married and on the pill.
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 45 minutes later
Hello ,

Menstrual flow varies from person to person.
This depends on a variety of factors including the woman’s age, sexual activity as well as diet.

Significant hormonal changes occur during menstruation.
These hormonal changes will contribute substantially to the type of discharge expelled by the body, making it appear to be more watery.

A watery discharge is not necessarily an indication of something being wrong with the body. As long as the discharge is non foul-smelling, you need not worry about it. It is a normal variant.

Hope your doubt is clear. You can write to me anytime for further clarifications.

Regards and take care.

Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Got clear fluid in period instead of blood. On pill. What could be wrong with me? 59 minutes later
This has not really answered my question. Can you please advise e what is likely to cause it and whther there is anything I can do about it? Is it common?
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply.

This type discharge is caused by hormonal imbalance in the body.
Heavy menstrual blood loss results in formation of clot due to deficiency of fibrinolysins which in turn leads to separation of plasma. This causes clear white discharge.
This symptom is very common in women of reproductive age group.

Since it is a physiologic non foul-smelling discharge, you need not worry.

Consult your doctor for treatment of heavy bleeding. This will in turn solve your problem of clear watery discharge in between menstrual cycle

Hope this helps.
Regards and take care,
Dr Nilofer