Ask a Dentist   »  

Got cavity filled with silver. Noticed increase in gaps and food getting stuck in it. Any cure?

Hi, I've visited a dentist 3months back and he filled the cavity with silver. Additionally, he advisd me to use Ultrasoft tooth brush and had given pin type plucks to clean the gaps between my teeth and gums.
I've been doing that since then, but it doesn't seem to improve. I mean I can see the gaps are increasing and whatever I eat, some or the other thing get stucked in there which irritates a lot.
Please advice what can be done for a healthy gums and teeth.
Posted Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to ask you few questions so that I can answer in better way:-
- Do you have problem of receding gums?
- Do you have loose teeth?

If above symptoms are present then, you most likely are suffering from periodontitis - your gums have become weaker. You should get scaling done for removal of all stains & calculus particles.

In addition please follow the below instructions for healthy teeth & gums:-
1. Floss first then brush your whole mouth including your gums, cheeks, roof of mouth, tongue and take a full 3 minutes brushing your teeth.
2. Sugar free Chewing gum: Since dry-mouth can increase bacterial build-up and cause or worsen bad breath, chewing sugarless gum can help with the production of saliva, and thereby help to reduce bad breath. Chewing may help particularly when the mouth is dry, or when one cannot perform oral hygiene procedures after meals.
3. Gargling right before bedtime with chlorhexidine mouthwash.
4. Doing gum massage with gum paint twice a day.
5. Maintaining proper oral hygiene, including daily tongue cleaning, brushing, flossing, and periodic visits to dentists and hygienists. Flossing is particularly important in removing rotting food debris and bacterial plaque from between the teeth, especially at the gum line.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further any question, I will be happy to help you.

Wish you good health.

Take Care