Got bruising after a fall. Applying arnica gel. What should be done?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was parking my mobility scooter and fell against the shop. In my panic cos I was jurting I sat on the scooter and clunched the lever that makes it go instead of just the handle. result is I knocked a lady over and finished up some 7 feet ahead. I went to the A and E and they xryaed and said I had broken no bones but I did have an impingement. Since then my inner arm has gone jet black with bruising about 8 inches by 4 inches and my neck is stiff and sore between the neck and shoulder and of course the should has pricking pains and doesn't like being jolted. I do have RA and OA and the doctor said he could see all sorts of things wrong with the joint. So I am getting a copy. I do bruise easily and can have no painkillers anyway cos of allergies to almsot everything in lots of ways, rheumatologist has tried. I am putting on arnica gell. Is there anything else I can do and is the injury behaving normally. I have had a massage very lightly, It happened four days ago. I am 71. Do have an ND.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could have suffered soft tissue contusion.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on the description of symptoms, I am of the opinion that you could have suffered a soft tissue hematoma (bruise in the inner side of arm) and a possible muscle strain involving your shoulder girdle.

The management of both these conditions is by conservative means like

* Rest to the injured part (your neck & shoulder) and don’t involve in any activities which puts additional strain on the injured tissues that causes pain.

* Ice packing should be applied over the affected area for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours.

* Gentle massaging of the inflamed area with a painkiller/ muscle relaxant ge.

* Moist heat fomentation over the involved area will help in relaxing the taut muscles.

* Analgesic and muscle relaxant medications as needed

I think, with the above mentioned measures, you should get adequate pain relief within a week.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any clarification

Follow-up: Got bruising after a fall. Applying arnica gel. What should be done? 1 hour later
OK and thanks I will do the above and if in trouble still say in 14 days I will get back to you with another question. I don't want it to become chronic if I can help it.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome to approach me.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

Please do follow all the mentioned measures and hopefully you should get better.

You are always welcome to ask me anything on musculo-skeletal disorders.

Wishing you a quick recovery. Good luck