Got bruise on leg. Experiencing pain when getting up from sitting or lying position. Any relief?

General Surgeon
I bruised my leg about a week ago when I ran into a fire hydrant. About two days ago, severe pain started running down my leg on the front side. The pain occurs when I get up from a sitting position or I am lying down and get up. It usually takes about 5 to 6 seconds before the pain hits when i get up from a sitting or lying position. Originally, the skin bruised. However, I thought everything was okay when the pain was less on my thigh bruise. All of a sudden, my leg started hurting any time I was in one position for a while and moved or got up. It is very painful
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Are you able to provide a photo of this leg?

Your symptoms may be caused by bone fracture, blood collection in the soft tissues (hematoma) or veins thrombosis.
Bruised skin indicates that there is some blood collection under the skin. If such collection is large enough, it causes an inflammation and can turn into an abscess. This gives pain, warm leg (warmer than the other one), tense and tender to touch skin.
Veins thrombosis gives pain when walking or moving the leg. Usually the calf is tender, the pain radiates from the ankle to the knee. The calf muscle gets hard and the leg is much more warmer than the other one. Extend your leg in the knee while sitting and move your foot down. If the pain radiating to the knee appears, veins thrombosis it is.
I suggest you to visit your doctor, have physical examination of this leg, X-ray, blood work, D-dimers level. If the dimers level will be elevated, Dopplers ultrasound of the veins should be done. If hematoma seems possible, also soft tissues ultrasound should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Got bruise on leg. Experiencing pain when getting up from sitting or lying position. Any relief? 4 hours later
After I go to bed, I can get the leg to have
no pain. However, if I wake up and roll
over or move the leg, pain radiates from
the thigh down. If I get up out of bed, I
have 5 seconds before the pain begins.
I have Neuropathy which usually makes
makes my feet hot and tingle at bedtime.
This is gone when I wake up in the
morning. The leg pain started 5 days after the
thigh bruise. Anything else you would like
to comment. Could the Neuropathy
Have accelerated to the leg after the trauma
To my thigh? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Pain radiating from the thigh down to the feet, if is neruopathic, has its source in the spine (due to spine disc herniation) or in the pelvis (due to piriformis syndrome for example). If the injury were in the upper part of your leg, than it could trigger such neuropathic pain.
However trauma can also trigger veins thrombosis or hematoma. This two conditions are much more serious than neruopathy. The pain which does appear when changing leg position can appear due ti increased blood pressure in occluded veins.

That is why I suggest you to have it checked by your doctor and have mentioned tests performed.