Got brownish discharge after having ipill. Is it the effect of this pill?

Question
I had sex with my gf on 5th day of her period later on 7th day of her period she consumed ipill i.e after 48 hrs but today she got little brownish reddish color discharge instead of white! She meant The discharge had very little bloody so the color was different ,now she is very tensed !! M too scared!!! Is this side effect of ipill? Or symptoms of pregnancy ?? Help me rpl soon is everything normal ?Or her periods r coming.... Plz it's urgent
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

A pregnancy test (urine for HCG) can help to rule out pregnancy in your case.

Even though the chances of pregnancy are low on certain days of the menstrual cycle it cannot be absolutely ruled out. Effectiveness of Ipill decreases with the duration that has elapsed after intercourse. It is around 80% effective if taken at 48hrs.

So just get a pregnancy test done.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Got brownish discharge after having ipill. Is it the effect of this pill? 2 minutes later
Is it side effect of pill or symptoms of pregnancy ?

Rpl that r those r symptoms of pregnancy ?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

There can be vaginal bleeding after ipill.

When was the last period exactly?

Please reply.

Follow-up: Got brownish discharge after having ipill. Is it the effect of this pill? 1 minute later
31 march
The brownish reddish discharge was today sir....
The brownish reddish discharge instead of white it was today... Sir

I suggest you to wait till the next menstrual period. If that is delayed by more than one week get a pregnancy test done.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Got brownish discharge after having ipill. Is it the effect of this pill? 0 minute later
Is it normal !!!?? 6 of April she consumed ipill she did not experience any kind of effect but yesterday n today she noticed reddish discharge ?? Is this normal ? Something else?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 17 minutes later

A withdrawal bleeding can occur 4 to 7 days after consuming a ipill.

The other cause of such bleeding (I think regarding which you are concerned) is implantation bleeding. Here the blood is a bit dark colored. This occurs around 10 to 14 days after conception.

To confirm or rule out a pregnancy wait for 7 days after the normal menstrual period and get a pregnancy test.

Hope this helps.