Got bitten by vole. Cleaned and applied polysporin. Is there any need to consult a doctor?

Feb 2013

We live in southern alberta & my husband was just bitten by a vole type rodent, it bled a lot, I have cleaned it and applied polysporin, does he need to see a doctor? His last tetanus shot was 3 years ago
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 42 minutes later
Thank you for your query,
I appreciate your timely first-aid management of your husband's rodent bite wound.
You continue to apply the antibiotic ointment polysporin thrice daily.
He is up to date for Tetanus toxoid as he recieved his last tetanus shot 3 years ago.
Consult his doctor as antibiotic prophylaxis may be needed to prevent secondary systemic infections caused by rodent bites and to examine the bite wound.
Watch for the development of fever, headache, vomitings, back and joint pains, and rash and report immediately if your husband develops any symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Follow-up: Got bitten by vole. Cleaned and applied polysporin. Is there any need to consult a doctor? 24 minutes later
Thanks very much for your help x
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later
You are welcome,
Thank you for your kind appreciation and for contacting on Healthcare Magic.
Wish you and your husband good health.