Got bitten by something on foot. White and itchy patches appeared on swollen and numb toe. What to do?

I just got bitten by something on my foot. On top of my foot there is a large white patch of skin surrounded by redness. My big toe is also red and itchy. It is slightly swollen and feels numb. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 35 minutes later

What you are experiencing is common set of symptoms that occurs in case of insect bite.

Please try following which should help:

1. Application of ice. Clean the area with soap and water to remove contaminated particles left behind by some insects

2. You can treat itching at the site of the bite with an over-the-counter antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in cream or pill form. Calamine lotion also helps relieve the itching.

Normally the local symptom subsides in couple of hours and nothing much us required to be done.

Please seek medical care in case:

>If you start to experience symptoms that are not just at the site of the bite or sting

Hives are the most common systemic symptom.( They appear as irregular, raised, red blotchy areas on the skin and are very itchy.)

>The local symptoms keep aggravating in spite of above measures
>Not feeling well

I hope this clarifies your concern.