Got bitten by big rat. Swelling appeared and started paining. What precaution should I take?

Dear Sir,

Last Night i have been biten by a big Rat and some bleeding had in my left legs finger... I have washed it and applied a soframycin cream.... it a bit paining & shown little swelling in morning but later on it now normal in swelling.

Day before at nightmy 2 years child also bitten by Rat on Left Hands Finger & got bleed.. this time bleeding was bit more than me and my doctor adviced 5 dose of RABIPUR Vaccine for Him..
Is it Necessary to get these vaccine or any othe rmedicine for him
Is rat bite causes Rabies or other fatel problems now or in future..
What precausion i should have to take to avoide it
should i have to go for any medication or for any rabies Vaccines.. I got some 5 rabies Vaccines in my stomac around 18 year back in 14 years age.
I have diabities is also. is that may cause problem

Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 minutes later

It is the "Rat-Bite Fever" and other wound infections you have to concentrate more on, than the rabies. Rat bite fever is a condition seen in people bitten by rates. This is a bacterial infection which can cause symptoms like fever, rashes, joint pains etc. This can lead to abscess at the bite site too. The infection is acquired from the infected rodents as they may harbor the bacteria in the mouth.

Well, treatment for these infections is very simple with antibiotics like Tetracyclines or penicillins. Do consult your treating doctor who can assess the bite and other physical parameters to arrive at a suitable dose for you and your child.

Rabies due to rat bite is very rare; the requirement of rabies vaccine is always debatable and advised considering the local rat bite rabies occurrences. I would consider it safe to be vaccinated. The recent vaccines do not involve injections around the abdomen. The newer vaccines are given to the arm or to the hip. These injections are simple and causing less discomfort.

Since you are diabetic, a good antiseptic care of the bite wound is essential to prevent abscess.

Hope I answered your query. Please do ask doubts, if any.

Follow-up: Got bitten by big rat. Swelling appeared and started paining. What precaution should I take? 14 hours later
Thanks you very much Dr. XXXXXXX .

Is any side effect of Rabies Vaccination... ?? if Yes what and what extant..?
Is their any other method instead of Vaccine to get anti Rabies in form of Pills etc. ??
What you suggest i should get this Vaccine of Rabies or Not ??

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Other than rare local injection site complications no side effects are associated with the Rabies vaccination.

Vaccination by injections is a newer and safer technique for now. The immunity acquired by vaccination is guaranteed.

Yes, do get the vaccination done. It is always better to be safe.

Hope this is helped. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Please close this discussion if all your queries are answered.

Wish you good health.