Ask a Dentist   »  

Got bite on roof of mouth. No relief from antibiotics and mouth wash. Remedy?

I have a given myself a love bite on the roof of my mouth while I have sleeping. I have had this condition for several weeks and have tried antibiotics and thrush medicine and mouth wash but nothing seems to be working. The roof of my mouth is red and my tongue seems to be missing some skin but it is not sore.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 41 minutes later

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand you have knowledge on the condition and possible causes, which is why you have tried to treat yourself with antibiotics and thrush medication. It is good to be informed.

Although there are a few more causes which we will have to rule out. Your presentation can be caused by:
-Folate and vitamin B complex)
-Tobacco abuse
-Low immunity
-Viral infections like oral herpes (requires examination and treatment with anti-viral medication)
-Bacterial infections like sinus infections (treated with antibiotics)
-Hormonal changes
-Extremely hot food or drinks
-Cold sore
-Canker sore

As mentioned above, there are quite a few conditions that could be causing this. In my opinion, you should visit a doctor and find the cause for this, which would ensure appropriate treatment. You should also start on vitamin B complex supplements.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Got bite on roof of mouth. No relief from antibiotics and mouth wash. Remedy? 1 hour later
I have also recently started to experience hot flushes and I have a stressful job and life
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Hi once again.

I understand and thus request you to visit a doctor. As mentioned above, stress could also be a cause for this. Hot flushes can also be associated with this. Once all other causes are ruled out, we could consider stress to be the cause. The doctor will help by providing relaxing exercises and technique.

You should take sometime off to relax and enjoy life to the fullest. Remember health is wealth.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for further clarifications or you could take sometime to rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Take care ma'am.