Got bit/stung by a spider, feeling very painful. Is this very serious? Should I go ER?
User rating for this question
got bit/stung by a spider - unknown, seattle WA area. VERY painful, but I can live with it. I'm not going to an emergency room as it will consume your life's savings. How long before I can tell whether it's serious or not?
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. The following is the suggested treatment for suspected spider bites (including XXXXXXX ones) 1. At the earliest, clean the bite with mild soap and water. This will prevent wound infection. 2. Apply cold packs to the bite, to reduce pain and inflammation. 3. If the bite is on an extremity such as an arm or leg, keep it elevated on a pillow. 4. If the pain is getting worse then please take painkillers and anti inflammatory medications. 5. Observe the bite for signs of inflammation and infection like tenderness, skin discoloration, intense swelling. Apart from the above it is important to report and breathlessness or severe muscle spasm in the region of bite. In case that happens, you must visit the ER. Any serious risk usually happens within 3 to 6 hours after the bite. I recommend you take Benadryl to supress any allergy reaction because of spider bite. Hope your query is answered. Do keep me updated if you need more help. Regards, Dr.Vivek
People also viewed
- Diagnosis of Moderate degenerative disease
- Should i go to the er
- Should i go to the er for chest pain
- Can i take librax for enterocolitis?
- Diagnosis of Psychotic disease
- Can microgestin fe 1 / 20 cure zits ?
- Will cipro treat e. coli infection ?
- Can zantac cure erosive esophagitis?
- Diagnosis of Severe sunburn i
- Papulosquamous disease causes
- Can i take aleve for injury, ankle ?
- Got stung by honey bee normal to feel sleepy
- Stomach pain fever vomiting should go for er
- Defiant disorder causes
- Got bit by a spider in the testicles