Got back injury and missing bowel movement. Is there any complication?

My father fell while bicycling recently and hurt his back. His back pain is improving but he hasn't had a bowel movement for 5 days. He's passed a little gas here and there, but that is all. Is this an emergency? What should he do?
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 53 minutes later

If he hasn't passed bowels since 5 days it is a cause for concern. Since he has passed a little gas it may not be an absolute obstruction of intestines, however the history and its correlation with the fall is significant. I would suggest you report to your ER, ASAP and ask them for a X XXXXXXX abdomen standing and an ultrasound of abdomen to rule out an intestinal obstruction.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani, MD
Former Gastroenterology Registrar, Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad.