Got antibiotic called cefuroxime for sinusitis. Is this good medication without side effect?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
hii i got these antibotic called apo cefuroxime 500 mgs for sininitis is this a good medication with no side effects or what side effects
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Apo-cefuroxime is a good medication for sinusitis.

Side effects with this antibiotic are minimal and they are negligible in comparison to its benefits in fighting against the infection.

The common side effects are nausea, vomitings, and diarrhea.

But the drug cefuroxime has a good safety profile and it is tolerated well by most of the people.

As it is an antibiotic, it should be taken for a course and in exact dose as per the prescription of your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Got antibiotic called cefuroxime for sinusitis. Is this good medication without side effect? 11 hours later
and what do you do if you have nassau dtomach pain when you take cefuroxime i take pantlock for my stomach should this make it elser on the meds or harder i am asking because i have alot of problems with meds thet dont like me

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 15 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

To avoid stomach pain and nausea associated with cefuroxime, it is better to take the drug with food.

Yes, you can take pantlock in prescribed dosage to decrease the stomach discomfort associated with this antibiotic.

Pantlock decreases gastric irritation induced by drugs by decreasing acid production in the stomach.

Regards.

Follow-up: Got antibiotic called cefuroxime for sinusitis. Is this good medication without side effect? 8 hours later
i have another question i have been taking septra dm for the sinnitis does this medication work for this i know that it works for lungs and it has no side effects for me which medicayion is better doctor

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

I think it is Septra DS (not Septra DM).

It is also an antibiotic belonging to sulfonamides.

Septra DS works for sinusitis infection, but use any antibiotic with prescription and as per the instructions of your doctor.

Both medications are good, but as they are antibiotics, should be used as and when indicated by the doctor.

Regards.

so septra ds is good for sininitis infection my lung doctor give ne this prescription and what else is it used for. sulfamethoxazole tri 800 mgs which antibitic is better the cefuroxime or the sulfamethoxazole tri septra for the sinintis because with septra i have no side effects it doesnt trouble my stomach at all please answer you have been very help full. thank you.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 10 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Septra Ds is used for upper respiratory tract infections, ear infection, and diarrhea, shigella, toxoplasma, and pneumonia caused by opportunistic infections.

As such both antibiotics are good for sinusitis infection.

If you are much worried about cefuroxime, you can choose Septra DS as you don't have any side effects and stomach trouble with it.

But use Septra DS as per the prescribed dose and duration for the present condition after discussing with your physician.

Regards.

Follow-up: Got antibiotic called cefuroxime for sinusitis. Is this good medication without side effect? 25 hours later
so i will ask my doctor for septra ds since it doesnt trouble me will it clear up the sininitis my nose fills full. and i use neils rince rince two a day should i use it more to dry uphe nosee

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 48 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

You can ask your doctor for Septra DS.

It will work for sinusitis infection.

Use Neils Rinse can be used as needed.

Usually twice per day of Neils Rinse is sufficient, one in the morning and one in the evening before going to bed.

In between, it can be used if needed.

Regards.

Follow-up: Got antibiotic called cefuroxime for sinusitis. Is this good medication without side effect? 22 hours later
my last question i need a medication that works for lungs and sininitis they give me zithrozime to take one a day but it effects my heart i have af of the heart is there no medicine out there that does trouble the heart just like corticostion the pill i cant take it my heart goes very fast same with vention. can you suggust a medication that i can use the doctors over here are to busy.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Yes, azithromycin is associated with heart rhythm abnormalities, so it is better not to take this drug by patients with heart rhythm disorders.

Co-Amoxiclav (amoxicillin with clavulanic acid) will work for both sinusitis and lungs infections.

As it (Co-Amoxyclav) belongs to penicillin group,it should not be taken by people who are allergic to penicillin group of drugs.

So consult your physician for the prescription of this medication after reviewing your medical history.

Regards.

is there anything else out there that medication trouble my stomach . i have tryed it its not the pennicilin its the other one that it is mixed with. and cefuroxime doesnt trouble the heart or is there something else thank you

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 13 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

Co-Amoxyclav contains amoxicillin, which belongs to penicillin group and it comes with combination of clavulanic acid.

Cefuroxime doesn't trouble the heart.

But before taking any drug, you should discuss your medical problems with your physician.

Hope I have answered your query and if you don't have any clarification please close the session and I request you to kindly review and rate my answer.

Regards.