Got ankle sprained. Feeling dizzy and nausea. What is the cause and cure?

I sprained my ankle recently. However, when I fell, I was dizzy, my eyes couldn't focus, felt nauseous, and was perspiring profusely. Is this normal, what causes this?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

It would help me in guiding you if you can provide the following information:
1. When did you sprain your ankle? How is it now?
2. Though the dizziness, inability to focus with the eyes, feeling of nausea and perspiration occurred at the time of injury, did these problems persist after the injury too and do they occur frequently?

It is not uncommon to have the feelings mentioned by you after a painful injury. The symptoms reduce once the pain is relieved.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarificatioins or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing you all the best.

Follow-up: Got ankle sprained. Feeling dizzy and nausea. What is the cause and cure? 6 minutes later
I sprained my ankle about three weeks ago. It is much better now, although I seem to get a sprained ankle once a year. This is the first time, however, that I got extremely dizzy, and was sweating profusely. I sat still for about 15 minutes, the spinning went away, and then I went home. I did not experience these symptoms again since the fall. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 12 minutes later

Thanks for the update.

The pain due to the injury caused the problems at that point of time. It is good that you are normal and have not experienced similar symptoms subsequently.

I hope you will not have similar symptoms again.

Wishing you the best.