Got an injury in knee. Getting spasm in various places of body. Any relation?

Over a year ago I was working my abds. My knees were on a half ball, round side up. I was using a bar to do a roller wheel movement. My knees slipped off the half ball, resulting in me doing a sharp back bend, w extreme pain in my spine, at umbilical level. It continues to "act up XXXXXXX on occasion. I had an x-ray, but they took more of a pelvic film and missed the hot spot.
I had a stomach flu recently, and while I didn't have a lot of emisis or loose stool, I slept for long long periods of time. After 2 days in bed, I felt better. I leaned over to get something out of the sink, and my back spasmed badily, waist level down. 2 trips to the chiropractor and one massage later, and a whole lot of advil, it is not much better. I am concerned that when I hyper-flexed my spine, I fractured the small pieces of bone that point posteriorally, and that pieces may be floating around messing with my spinal column. It's bad, and just not going away!
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later

Thank you writing to us.

As your history includes an injury a year ago, there could be a chance for a prolapsed disc or a spinal disc herniation more than a fracture. Yet we can rule out/diagnose these possibilities only with investigation and a physical examination.
If you don't mind trying to lie down on your back on a comfortable surface and trying to lift your legs up straight (from your hips straight up). Let me know if this hurts?

A physical examination by a doctor is mandatory. Followed by an x-ray of the hot-spot (although x-rays are slightly limiting). You could also go for an MRI of the spine which is an elaborate investigation and will surely find any abnormality be it in the spinal cord, nerve roots or surrounding areas.

A chiropractor can help only so much; instead making a diagnosis and treating the condition accordingly should ensure a complete recovery.

Feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.
Best wishes.