Got an accident. Started getting headache, speech problem and have swollen hands. Any cure?

Last week on Oct 31, I had a car accident, hit a deer. Went to the emergency room in the area of the accident. They did a CT scan and xrays, nothing internally was wrong according to them. Left hand was swollen. They perscribed me medication for my pain. Since then, my headaches have gotten worse and frequent; my speech has been very confusing; it takes me a few seconds to process things; and I get a little confused in my thoughts sometimes. Went to my local doctor on Nov 6, described my symptons and he said that I probably have a concussion. He gave me medicine for the head pain and I'm schedule for a MRI on this Sat, Nov 10. This morning I noticed a red spot in my right eye and I was wondering was that a result of the accident. I have not gone back to work yet. I'm suppose to go back to work this Friday, Nov 9, but afraid to because on my headaches, speech problem, and concentration. What do I need to do in the meantime until I have my MRI. I'm 41 years old, 345 lbs, diabetic and high blood pressure which I am on oral medication for both.
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 16 minutes later

Red spot in eye is unlikely to be related to accident, as if there would have been any eye injury it would have presented immediately after accident.

Actually the ideal step would be to consult a neurologist. In fact you can see a neurologist before getting MRI. Even a clinical evaluation by neurologist can make things more clear.Headache makes me suspicious of subdural haemorrhage ( a bleed between the 2 layers of membrane which cover the brain. this can sometimes not be present at the time of the initial CT)
In my view considering your current symptoms, there is possibility of an injury more than contusion. Medications advised are very likely to be symptomatic treatment.

Don't consider going for work.Don't drive or take up any physical task.Ask someone to be with you till you feel better.

MRI can make things more clear. If its not possible to see neurologist then consider a ER visit and get re-evaluation of current status done.

Hope that clarifies. Let me know if you have any more questions