Got an abnormal pap smear report. Chances of having HPV?

May 2013
Hello. I recently had a pap smear and the results came back abnormal. I had recieved a letter in the mail stating so, also saying to make an appointment in six months. I'm completely confused! Do I have HPV? And why wait for so long?
The other side of this story is my boyfriend had just told me he had hpv. We have been together for 8 months and he knowing has has had it for over a year. He was extremely drunk when he confessed and said he was scared I wouldn't like him anymore. I love this man and although I'm upset from this secret I need some clarification.
Does this abnormal pap mean hpv for surr?
He has warts and said that unless he has a break out I can't contract them. He said it was only spread during outbreaks and he had never had sex with me during one.
Most of our sex is unprotected.
If I continue to have sex with him for the next six months will that affect my next pap?
My doctor told me that most of the time wheb six months is up my pap will be back to normal. But if it isn't then we will proceed from there. what does she mean?
Thank you
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 41 minutes later
Abnormal pap smear may not always indicate infection with hpv.
Any form of infection can present with abnormal pap smear.
Usually minimally abnormal smear can turn to normal after few months, may be because of that your doctor recommended observation.
Now what you can do is:
-Get treated for any other symptoms like white discharge etc.
-If you want to rule out the possibility the hpv infection, you can go for DNA testing of the virus from the cervical cells or
-Just wait for 6 months as your doctor told and go for repeat pap smear. If the smear comes abnormal again you may need colposcopy.
-Pap smear to be repeated in every 6 months till three consecutive negative smears obtained.
-You should avoid intercourse till your partner is cleared-off of warts.
-After that better to have protected intercourse by using barrier method of contraception.
-you can go for vaccination against hpv virus.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Got an abnormal pap smear report. Chances of having HPV? 5 hours later
Thank you so much! That is very helpful, but I still have a few other questions.
I was tested in November and my pap was normal now its abnormal. can it just as quicklygo back to normal? What does a colposcope do? And is that what will identity if I. have hpv?
And about my boyfriends warts, can I really only get them during an outbreak and we come in contact?
Also in the future how would this affect my boyfriends sperm and my chances of pregnancy?
So many questions, I know.
thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 hours later
-Yes, sometimes infection get cured in 2 to 3 weeks. After that in 1 to 2 months
you may get normal smear.
-Colposcopy will identify abnormal areas over genital area, on cervix etc.
-If hpv caused changes, colposcopy will identify abnormal area at the transitional zone. Biopsy should be taken from there. After getting the histopathological report of the biopsy, the possibility of neoplasia can be noted.
-You have to avoid intercourse till complete removal of his warts. After that also you have to have protected intercourse by using barrier method till you will get complete immunization. Because outbreak can occur when the immunity decreases and it is most of the times unpredictable.
-If treated early it may not affect future fertility.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.