Got affected with Herpes, undergone treatment. Skin infection healed but have burning sensation and pains

Nov 2013

this is regarding my mother, now she is 67 years, she is affected with Herpris zalan virus six months ago, she undergone treatment, but no cure so far, from outer it seems to have heeled, but she says lot of burns and she cries with pain. for past one month, we are taking for to skin specialist.
I have just attached the medicines presently used. Please help us, my mother has become very week. i even uploaded the medicines presently used. And the infection as per report is HERPES NEURALGIA
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 46 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that your mother has not improved even after six months of infection.

The virus is called herpes zoster, and this condition is called post herpetic neuralgia (PHN). As you said, the skin infection heals, however, the effect of virus infection on the underlying nerve in skin remains. This results in severe pain, burning, tingling, itching, etc in the area affected.

In addition to gabapentin, other medications effective in this condition include pregabalin, carbamazepine, amitryptiline, duloxetine, etc.

There would be good relief with proper treatment. I suggest you consult a good neurologist.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad