Got a tattoo done, noticed a small red dot on it, no oozing fluids. Is there cause for concern?

Oncologist, Surgical

I got a tattoo approx 5 weeks ago, lately I haven't been moisturizing it as frequently as i should have and after I got out of the shower, I noticed a small red dot on the tattoo. The area around the tattoo isn't red, no oozing fluids, is there cause for concern and what should I do about it? Thanks
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. This red dot on the tattoo can be due to two reasons. One is an infection known as folliculitis (infection of the hair follicles) and it is common after tattoos. This would lead to some pain and redness and can ooze at times as well. The treatment for this condition is mupirocin ointment three times a day for one week. As you are saying that there is no pain and oozing, then this seems to be unlikely.
The common problem after tattoo's is the formation of a hypertrophic scar (altered form of healing) in which there is a raised, red area over the region, which subsides with time and does not require any treatment.
My advise would be to continue moisturising the area and consult a doctor if it starts to pain or ooze.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.