Got a paraban free spray and noticed it has haylaronic acid. Is this safe to spray on the skin?

Jun 2013
I was going to get a paraban free spray XXXXXXX and noticed in the ingredients listed was haylaronic acid. Is this safe to spray on the skin? I have seen conflicting information online!
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 13 days later
Hi there ~

I understand your concerns. For someone with no medical history and not being on any medications, currently or in the past, and being relatively healthy with no allergies, I completely understand that using any medication or topical substance would be concerning when you see a side effect of the substance. Some amount of education about the substance will allay your fears regarding the same.

Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is naturally present in the human body. It is found in the highest concentrations in fluids in the eyes and joints. The hyaluronic acid that is used as medicine is extracted from rooster combs or made by bacteria in the laboratory.

People take hyaluronic acid for various joint disorders, including osteoarthritis. It can be taken by mouth or injected into the affected joint by a healthcare professional.

The FDA has approved the use of hyaluronic acid during certain eye surgeries including cataract removal, corneal transplantation, and repair of a detached retina and other eye injuries. It is injected into the eye during the procedure to help replace natural fluids.

Hyaluronic acid is also used as a lip filler in plastic surgery.

Some people apply hyaluronic acid to the skin for healing wounds, burns, skin ulcers, and as a moisturizer, which is probably why your paraban free XXXXXXX spray has this ingredient in it.

There is also a lot of interest in using hyaluronic acid to prevent the effects of aging. In fact, hyaluronic acid has been promoted as a "fountain of youth." However, there is no evidence to support the claim that taking it by mouth or applying it to the skin can prevent changes associated with aging.

This is the information that was obtained from an authentic government approved website online for the substance you described. I hope this helps and allays any anxiety about the substance hyaluronic acid.

Let know if you have any further questions I am able to answer for you. Take care and have a lovely day!