Got a movable lumps near anus. What could be this?

lump on anus my husband just found a lump that is a little bit larger than a peanut. it is dark in color. it does not look like a pimple, and it is on the rim of his anus. he found it while in the shower, and the lump moves under the skin. what could this be?
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thanks for the question.

In view of details provided by you, it looks like he has got piles/hemorrhoids.Hemorrhoids are enlarged, swollen veins in the anus. Hemorrhoids can occur inside the anus (internal hemorrhoids) or outside of the anus (external hemorrhoids).

Since it is under the skin possibilities of genital wart and polyp are unlikely.

I guess he should see a surgeon sooner.Because piles can lead to rectal bleeding and can progress needing more aggressive treatment.

Hope this answers your question.

Follow-up: Got a movable lumps near anus. What could be this? 10 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX If surgery is needed, how long is the recovery normally? My husband is too embarrassed to call his doctor about this issue as well. How soon should we contact his doctor?

Thank you for your time
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 31 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up question.

I don't think surgery would be first option in his case.There are multiple medical and minor surgical procedures which can help him.

With most treatments, he wont need hospitalization or long break from work.

In my view he should see doctor sooner.It's very common condition and doctor wont make him feel embarrassed. So ask him not be worried.

Hope this answers your question.