Got a large painful bruise on hip after an injury. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I feel skiing a few weeks ago on my left hip. Instantly i had a large painful bruise from just below my buttocks and above my hamstring. The bruise has healed, but a large bump has remained.. I can still walk, run, and work out but the bump still remains... It is about 3 1/2" in diameter... What should i do.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 24 minutes later

Without examination of swelling it is difficult to say about it, let me know something about swelling so I can help you in better way.

Whether swelling is-
Localized or diffuse
Superficial or bony XXXXXXX
Soft, firm or hard
Mobile or fixed
Temperature over swelling is raised or not
Tender to touch or not

Once I have these answers, we would be able to discuss the treatment better.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Got a large painful bruise on hip after an injury. What should I do? 20 minutes later
It is soft, and in a fixed location... It WAS tender to the touch, but not as much the last few days

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query again.

From description , this lump most probably formed due to haematoma formation (collection of blood).
It will take few weeks to months to get disappear.
I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination of swelling. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.
Meanwhile give hot fomatation over it. You can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) for pain control.

I hope this information helps you.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.