Got a huge lump on butt after falling down. Warm and painful to touch. Looking for cure

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell down the steps and got a huge lump on my butt with u shaped bruising around it. It also feels warm to the touch, vary painful it hurt to sit and lay down. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
You must have injured yourself internally besides the skin abrassion. The lump which you notice seems to be a haematoma (internal bleeding) that's usually caused by rupture of some blood vessel in the butt. Usually these swelling are self limiting and will regress in a couple of days. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.

Haematoma's are very painful. You can go to your family physician or orthopaedician and depending upon its size and severity they can decide to either excise it surgically or allow it to regress on its own. The only precaution that you must keep in mind is that it should not get infected (from any other source in body), cause if it does it will turn into an abscess.

In my opinion, do a hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, take absolute bed rest, have anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice, supported walking and if this doesn't work take an x XXXXXXX or sonography to diagnose the root of trouble.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.