Got a deep cut on finger. Cleaning and using bandage on it. Should I consult a doctor?

General Surgeon
Yes thank you. I lost a chunk out of my pinky finger yesterday on a grinding tool at the auto mechanic shop. There is not anything to stitch together, but it is a XXXXXXX gash; I can see the bone. I cleaned it and wrapped in gauze overnight and the pain has subsided. Is there any need to see a doctor? Hospital is far away and I don't have insurance. I'm cleaning it and replacing bandages every 12 hours. Is that sufficient?
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Your wound looks really good. Its clean and no signs of infection. Moreover, as it is now more than 24 hours (it looks like it is), the doctor wont do anything with it. Only if you would visit a doctor right away, some stitches would be applied. But now, the wound needs to get healed by itself. It will leave pretty visible scar.
So in conclusion, just keep it clean and it should be fine. And do not wrap it with bandage if possible as lack of oxygen allows bacterias to grow..
You should just be aware of tetanus symptoms. If any jaw spasm or other muscles spasm will appear, immediate medical attention is necessary.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.