Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Got a cut on finger. Noticed swelling and tightness. How long does it takes to heal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5376 Questions
Hi, I am 18 and I cut my finger about a week ago, specifically on my nuckle (I forgot how to spell that sorry) and it was a good slice. Small, but XXXXXXX maybe 3mm across. I cut it on a tin can, it had chicken in it. It was fine but then it kept hurting. below my nuckle and now, about5 days later, my entire finger is fat, tight & swollen. Ouch! ??
There is no icky liquid or puss coming out of it. It isnt red or hot to the touch. It hurts to bend. I work in a fast food place so I mess with chemicals (bleach, degreaser, spic and span, ect.), also bread, grease, sauces, everything. I clean it out at least 2 times a day with peroxide, and I am keeping up with putting a new bandaid on it as much as I can. I keep it covered at work. Idk what is going on.
Posted Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such wounds even if do look small can heal for a long time. As you do work with food, you need to know that raw flesh has a lot of many bacterias (cooked flesh has also some bacterias). This bacterias for sure has gotten into this wound. Such wound should get almost healed in a 5 days. If it does not, you should get medical help with it.
It looks like you gone need antibiotics to get it healed. Moreover, there is always a risk of tetanus infection. So you should probable get vaccination for that.
So in conclusion, it is advisable for you to go to the doctor and have antibiotics prescribed (Clindamicine is the best one for such wounds).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor