Got a cardiogram. Ear infection with palpitation, breathlessness. What does anteroseptal infarct mean?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I just got a cardiogram at the acute care. I went there for an ear infection and mentioned that I was having palpitations. I am getting shortness of breath for the past 1 1/2 weeks. I had been given topomax for migranes 1 1/2 weeks before. I got some other symptoms from the topomax and stopped it. They went away but I still have the palpitations and shortness of breath doing normal activites. weigh 250 am 5 ft 4 in and just lost safely 50 lbs. Had pals and shortness of breath beforel Anyway the results of the cardiogram say anteroseptal infarct, Q>35 T neg V1-V2, What does that mean?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later

I just happened to see your query just now, and felt I need to answer it soon. I hope you are still in the ER or within reach as you may need to be hospitalized.

Anteroseptal infarct means a type of heart attack i.e. there is decreased blood supply causing myocardial infarction (MI) which can be seen on cardiogram as changes in the QRS complex or T wave on ECG.

The severity and the time of infarct can be found out only after further investigations.

You need to get your blood pressure checked, echocardiogram and troponin- T blood test done right away along with baseline investigations like blood cardiac markers, cholesterol, sugars, blood counts, etc.

Sometimes an old infarct can be picked up by the ECG, but that can be distinguished by the above tests.

If it's a recent infarct, then treatment can be started promptly to improve the prognosis.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries.