Got a bite on knee causing swelling and shooting pain. Should I be concerned?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I got a bite on my knee that is swollen and red. It is causing my whole leg to be in pain. I have shooting pain around the knee right at the site of the bite. What could have bitten me? Should i be concerned
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be an Unknown insect sting.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

As you are unaware of the bite, I assume that you had it in the night time when you are asleep.

All your symptoms could be possibly due to allergic reaction of the sting or bite. The severity of symptoms differ from person to person and may range from minor reaction (as in your case) to severe anaphylaxis.

The warning symptoms which should make you run to the ER include -
* Nausea, Vomiting * difficulty in breathing * difficulty in swallowing * rapid heart rate * hives * cold extremities * dizziness or fainting.

The general treatment options for insect bite include

* Cold -Applying ice to a bite or sting has a numbing affect and can help ease pain and reduce swelling. Just remember that ice should never be applied directly to the skin as it can cause damage to the skin (use a polythene bag filled with ice cubes).
* Topical creams -These include creams with the active ingredients hydrocortisone, lidocaine and diphenhydramine can help control itching and pain from bites and stings.
* Antihistamine pills with the active ingredients diphenhydramine or chlorpheniramine maleate which are available as over the counter medications
* Aloe Vera - It is effective in treating allergic skin reactions. It cools and soothens irritated skin with its anti-inflammatory properties.

If your symtoms still persist, consult your family physician for further management.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any more clarifications